softshell crab exporterVietnamese mud crab export

Deep South unrest totals 1,271 incidents since 2017

SUNDAY, AUGUST 23, 2026
Deep South unrest totals 1,271 incidents since 2017

Data show 3,270 people killed or injured since 2017, as Lt Gen Norathip Poynok says recent attacks may reflect retaliation for crackdowns.

Thailand’s southern border provinces recorded 1,271 unrest incidents that left 3,270 people dead or injured from 2017 to July 31, 2026, while Fourth Army Region commander Lt Gen Norathip Poynok said recent violence may have been retaliation by illicit networks affected by intensified enforcement operations.

The statistics, disclosed on Sunday (August 23, 2026), were described as having been verified by three parties and were compiled from data held by the Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre (SBPAC) and Isranews Agency’s Southern News Centre.

The figures show that annual incidents fell from 175 in 2017 to 57 in 2020 before increasing again, reaching 170 in 2024. The 2026 figures cover only the period to July 31 and are therefore partial-year data.

Deep South unrest totals 1,271 incidents since 2017

Norathip, who also serves as director of Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) Region 4, said he believed the latest incidents were intended to discredit state operations rather than directly target the lives of civilians or officials.

He pointed to sustained cordon-and-search operations from late July to mid-August, alongside pressure on suspected perpetrators, drug networks and illegal traders across the three southern border provinces.

Deep South unrest totals 1,271 incidents since 2017

Incidents fall before rising again

The annual figures were:

  • 2017: 175 incidents and 495 people killed or injured
  • 2018: 153 incidents and 319 people killed or injured
  • 2019: 120 incidents and 353 people killed or injured
  • 2020: 57 incidents and 209 people killed or injured
  • 2021: 83 incidents and 223 people killed or injured
  • 2022: 94 incidents and 310 people killed or injured
  • 2023: 163 incidents and 250 people killed or injured
  • 2024: 170 incidents and 426 people killed or injured
  • 2025: 153 incidents and 440 people killed or injured
  • 2026: 103 incidents and 245 people killed or injured as of July 31

The combined figures amount to 1,271 incidents and 3,270 people killed or injured over the period.

The data do not separate fatalities from injuries.

The highest number of incidents in the period was 175 in 2017, while the lowest was 57 in 2020. The combined number of people killed or injured was also highest in 2017 at 495, followed by 440 in 2025 and 426 in 2024.

Army chief points to pressure on illicit networks

Norathip said security forces had used available personnel across Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat to conduct searches and increase pressure on groups suspected of involvement in violence.

Authorities had also continued the “90 Days to Defeat Drugs” operation, which had resulted in substantial drug seizures and the arrests of several suspects, he said.

In a separate operation in Yarang district in mid-August, officials seized more than 2 million illicit cigarettes and about 18 million baht in cash.

Norathip said the illegal-trade operation was linked to a drug-trafficking network. Authorities estimated that illicit commerce in the area could be worth hundreds of millions of baht each month.

He suggested that groups whose financial interests had been affected by the enforcement operations could be attempting to retaliate against state officials.

“These activities are sources of funding for the insurgent movement, which also collects protection money,” Norathip said.

“It is therefore possible that groups whose interests have been affected are trying to create incidents in retaliation against state officials.”

He said authorities would continue taking strict action against illegal activity, particularly border smuggling and drug trafficking, without easing enforcement.

ISOC promises scrutiny and denies helicopter fire

Norathip said ISOC Region 4 Forward Command would examine the facts in every case comprehensively and ensure fairness for all sides.

Security operations and law enforcement would continue in parallel, he added.

The Fourth Army Region commander also rejected allegations that people had been shot at from a helicopter.

He confirmed that helicopters and drones had been used to patrol routes during the period in question but said no weapons had been used and no rounds had been fired from aircraft towards the ground.

“If automatic weapons had actually been fired from a helicopter in the way alleged, the vehicle or target referred to could not have escaped,” Norathip said.

He maintained that the account circulated publicly was inconsistent with the facts established by the authorities.